Question: Burning, Tingling, Achy pains

cgray1112 - Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:07 pm

For the last few weeks I have been having a combination of burning, tingling and achy pains in my hands and feet. My hands are very stiff in the morning especially. These pains wake me up at night at times. Now I am starting to have achy pains througout different areas of my body such as my shoulder, hips, and even mild tingling at my lips. I am getting frustrated as to the cause of these pains. The pains do not seem related to any type of exercise or exertion as I have them almost constantly even when resting. Extremely fatigued also. Any input into my dilemma would be appreciated. Making an appointment with my doctor within the next few days. Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:48 am

User avatar Dear cgray1112,

Chronic fatigue syndrome is to be considered in your condition after exclusion of other systemic diseases.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome CFS symptoms include:
-Fatigue and weakness for more than a day after exertion and interferes with daily and social activity.
-Headache a landmark of this syndrome
-Tender lymph nodes mainly in the neck or the axillary nodes
-Muscle and joint aches
-Impairment of short-term memory or concentration
- The feeling of being unrefreshed after sleeping
-Poor temperature control either feeling so cold or hot like having fever and sweat.
-Disturbances in the autonomic nervous system e.g. tingling and parasthesia
Chronic fatigue that does not show at least four of these criteria is known as “idiopathic fatigue.”

Exclusion of hypothyroidism, Rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, multiple sclerosis, and major depressive disorders is essential for the diagnosis.

I advise you to be checked by your doctor, only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

I hope these informations are helpful.
 cmc322 - Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:27 pm

I too suffer from aches and pains in my muscles. I have had new, chronic headaches for past 6 months and they just now are subsiding. However, i cannot seem to shake the muscle aches, numbness, stiffness. I get so stiff in the morning I walk like I am 90 years old (I am 48). I have sever pain when trying to lift just a glass of liquid. The meds perscribed are a joke compared to my pain, like giving an asperin for a major surgery. I recieve relief when I take hydrocodone or codene but the dr's do not want to perscribe it. I have been given something to help me sleep as I was not staying asleep at night. I have had all the tests, MRI ct scan, spinal tap, blood, etc. I ache all the time somewhere. If I work around the house, I get so sore, I cannot move until I take a very hot bath, then it gets better. This is all new, I never had any of these problems before. When I was young I had Mono, Anemia, Hep A. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:14 pm

I assume that you have been tested for Rheumatoid arthritis RA and results were negative.

The other possibility that result in symptoms similar to yours is firbomyalgia.

Individuals with fibromyalgia have generalized morning pain and stiffness that may remain for hours.

For more information about fibromyalgia and RA you can visit our web site at:

http://www.doctorslounge.com/rheumatolo ... yalgia.htm
http://www.doctorslounge.com/rheumatolo ... matiod.htm

Other causes to be excluded are Systemic Lupus and other causes for arthritis.

Hope this information is useful.
I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discus with him this information.

Keep us updated.
 cmc322 - Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:22 am

Actually I have not been tested for RA as far as I know. Is that a blood test? They have done blood several times. On the Fibro subject, the website said the pain starts in one place and then can transfer to other...could that be my headaches for the past 6 months and now that they have subsided in both quantity and severity, the pain has transfered to hands legs feet back etc? I find that is what has happened, also the lack of sleep. I have been put on amitripiline (sp) at night which has helped but now that I told the doctor that, I have been waking up again in the middle of night..will I have to have this dose increased? Right now I am only on 30 mg each night. I am starting with a new PCP in a week and I really do not know what to say at first. I know they want the facts but I have so much going on, I am at a point of confusion. I feel I am done seeing the nuerologist, those visits are nothing more than "how have you been with the headaches?", "See you in 6 weeks". I am ready now to move on to where my aches and pains are not where they were.
Please advise me...
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:27 pm

Yes tests for RA are blood tests.
RA should be excluded in your condition as well as fibromyalgia.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor and to discuss with him this information.

Keep us updated.

|