Question: Achy all over-please answer

llm8221 - Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:51 am

Hi. I am a 23 year old female who just had a baby 3 months ago. I am on Nexium, Prilosec, Colac, Ortho tricyclen lo, and I just started taking Centrum and Viactiv. I have a hiatal hernia and was diaganoised with IBS 3 years ago. I had a very easy pregnancy. My IBS really didn’t bug me. A couple weeks after my baby was born my stomach has upset me a little, but nothing real bad. My question is actually about some aches and pains I have been experiencing especially in my legs. This started before I started taking my birth control pills. I get pains in my legs mostly my calves. My ankles feel like they are swollen, but they don’t look swollen. Sometimes it feels like I have ran the mile w/o stretching. Sometimes it feels like my bones hurt and sometimes my muscles. The pain is sometimes in my knees and sometimes in my ankles. My shoulders feel tingly and hot, kind of like a burning senstation. I feel like I am being weighed down by something in my shoulders and arms occassionaly(this has only happen about 2 times). None of this is too painful. More achy and uncomfortable. I am overweight by probably 50 pounds, much due to my pregnancy. I do not exercise as much as I should and when my IBS isn’t bothering me, I don’t eat the best. I am trying to improve on this. I went to my Dr. office and saw her PA. He thought it might be my thyroid, because that can act up after pregnancy and do weird things to your body. HE did blood work and I don’t have thryroid problems or Rhueuatrad arthritis. So, it was diagnosed as fibromylagia. Which my mom has and keeps telling me is my problem. Anyway, he put me on Cymbalta, which is an antidepressant. He said this should help with the fibromylagia and my IBS. I was wondering if you think this is a good assestment.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:36 am

User avatar Dear llm8221,

Fibromyalgia Syndrome’ (FMS) is to be considered in your condition. It affects many people and results in generalized muscular pain. The pain affects also the spine area or the neck or front of the chest, or middle or low back.

There are other associated chronic symptoms which include, mood disturbances, fatigue and sleep disturbances.

The underlying cause is not known, however many other conditions can trigger the pain like stress, liver problems, thyroid problems, bowel dysfunction and allergy. Other diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis should be excluded since they are associated with similarly symptoms to FMS.

There are no specific treatments however, general recommendations can help alleviate the pain, these include:

Suitable nutritional advice as well as supplements like potassium and other minerals are very important.
Avoid the triggering causes and treat them like: allergy and GI problems.
Regular exercises programs like yoga.
Some herbal preparations can help improve the liver functions and the blood circulation.
Other medications under the supervision of your doctor can help to improve sleeping problems and anxiety.

It might take three month to see the improvement in these symptoms after following the proper medical care.
To have more information about FMS you can visit our web site on:
http://www.doctorslounge.com/rheumatolo ... yalgia.htm

I advise you to be on follow up with your doctor. You have to inform him with any new symptoms. Some specific causes may be preceded by non specific symptoms and for a long time.

I hope you find this information useful

|