Question: Chest bone and ribs hurt to the touch

Wildoat - Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:05 pm

I'm a 41 yr old female - had jr. RA in my teens and twenties - in remission now - but still have a condition where my chest bone, ribs and shoulder bones hurt to the touch. Simply pressing with my index finger hurts.

This seems to only apply to my upper body bones - my limbs are not effected.

I am interested in knowing what this condition is called and if there is anything that I can do to make it better.

Thanks. :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:11 am

User avatar Hi Wildoat,
Costochondritis may cause pain and tenderness due to inflammation of the cartilage in the chest area. It can be associated with arthritis. Your physician can identify if this is actually the cause of your pain and tenderness by your signs and symptoms as well as a physical evaluation. Treatment may include pain relievers or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications. As always discuss the use of these with your physician.
 Wildoat - Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:07 am

Thanks Theresa... I looked up info on Costochondritis and it appears that this is related to pain at the rib/chest bone joints?

The tenderness that I experience is anywhere on the bone... you can press your finger into my rib on my side or from the back and the press hurts.

The pain is similar to pressing on a bruise.

Thanks for reading so quick! :-D
 mstbio - Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:02 am

I have had that same problem for years. It never was too bad, since it only hurts when you press the bones and from my reading I figured it was costochondritis. I have recently been having problems with other joints though and am beginning to think I am at the beginning stages of RA.

|