Question: re : rib/spine/shoulder/neck pain

joey1 - Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:04 pm

i am suffering a lot of discomfort of my ribcage. I am in constant pain and finding it hard to draw a deep breath. I have been tested positive for the HLB 27 gene but no evidence on the xrays of AS. I don't undersatand what i could have. I find myself in constant discomfort and the inability to have relaxed breathing without pain is worrying me. I have had the syptoms of back /neck pain for 10 years but breathing problems have only developed in the last 3. My bones just ache....im constantly trying to stretch them to no avail
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 am

HLA B27 is an inherited marker for many rheumatic diseases hat share clinical features like as spinal and peripheral arthritis, skin and GI disorders.

They are highly related to ankylosing spondylosis and reactive arthritis, although not diagnostic.
When the joints between the ribs and the vertebrae are inflamed (arthritis), pain during breathing will take place.

In addition to the associated muscle spasm that will aggravate the condition and by itself causes sever pain.

Associated pleurisy could be also the cause of this pain. Viral infections like flu, are the most common cause of Pleurisy, RA and SLE are also known causes . The pain is felt as sharp pain which get worse by Coughing, sneezing, moving and deep breathing

|