Question: Spondylolisthesis will Prolo Therapy help?

TammyM - Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:45 am

I am a 38 year old female with back and leg pain for 1 yr.
I have a diagnosis of Spondylolisthesis at L4 with severe locallized pain as well as nerve pain in right leg and periodic numbness in both legs. My Dr. has suggested Prolo Therapy and bracing. The prolo therapy is an injection of a solution to irritate the muscle ect...
I have found no scientific evidence to support Prolo therapy, does anyone know anything about this type of treatment. Any suggestions or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks for any input
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:11 pm

User avatar Dear Tammy,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Prolotherapy has been present for a while now. i think the first double blinded study (the kind of study which is supposed to give the best medical evidence there is if of course correctly conducted, etc...) on this kind of therapy was done in 1987 by the Sansum medical clinic. Their results showed that the group of patients who were injected the prolotherapy solution had statistically significant improvement in their condition. Personally, i have not read the entire study, but from what i read, there was no mention of what all the patients really suffered from. They only mentioned that the patients had chronic back pain for more than one year. Wether these patients or some of them had spondylolisthesis or not, i can not be certain for sure.

The question then becomes, are you a candidate for this type of therapy or not? i can not really answer that question but if your doctor thinks that you are a candidate, since he knows you better than i do, i would suggest that you follow his advice.

Are you going to benefit from this therapy or not? The answer is i can not predict, but there are many reports to suggest that it works really well for some people, so if you go for it, i hope that you are going to be one of those fortunate people.

If your doctor that you are talking about is not a neurosurgeon or a neurologist and you want a second opinion i would suggest that you see either a neurologist or neurosurgeon to see whether your condition needs a surgical intervention.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

Dr. Russell M - Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:11 pm

User avatar Hi!

I just went through some of the articles published, and it seems to me that prolotherapy comes under the system of natural medicine. I also read that they have good results with this mode of therapy. I am not in a position to be advising you regarding it; nevertheless, I am for any system of medicine that can bring relief to your ailment. Why don't you give it a try? Regardless of how 'scientific' such therapies maybe, if it's me who's being bothered by the spondylolisthesis, I would want to give it a try, if 'science' fails to bring me relief.

Warm regards,

Bill
 Dr. Russell M - Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:14 pm

User avatar Ooops! Sorry about that Dr Mokhtar. Guess both of us chose to respond to the same person in more or less the same time interval! Interesting thoughts from your side!
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Mar 18, 2004 1:41 pm

User avatar Hey Bill,

Two heads are always better than one or they wouldn't have said "Let's put our heads together".

Your wonderful comments are always welcome.

Yasser
 TammyM - Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:31 pm

thank you for your replies, The Dr is a sports medicine Dr. Since I posted, I have decided to seek a second opinion. I have decided that I will wait until I see someone else before undertaking something like Prolo therapy.

Thanks for your imput.
Tammy

|