"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: Thumbs

ArniePie - Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:22 am

Hello im 16 and i recently had surgery on my left thumb to have the tendons or ligaments re attached to the joint.This was after i had injured it in sport. I was told i had cartilage damage and therfore would have arthritis. i hurt both my thumbs when i was really young and now my other thumb hurts towards around 5:00pm till the end of the day. This started happening the last two days but it was fine for all last week. Could this be because im doing everything with my right hand or is it that i may also have arthritis on the right thumb?

Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:41 pm

from here, it seems most likely it is because you are everthing with one hand right now. Arthritis in the thumb is a rare manifestation of arthritis in your age. However, it might be possible. Best way to see is if you are trying to relaxe with both hands, just to see what happens. Or you are ask you doctor: By blood investigation, ultrasound and other imagings it might be possible to differentiate between both. Anyway, if you have arthritis it would be good to know very early to prescribe medications that might stopp inflammation and damage in your joints. As I said, blood samples, ultrasound and MRI might help to find out.