"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Question: swollen fingers in cold weather

based - Sat Dec 10, 2005 11:53 pm

I don't know if this is really a medical problem, but it sort of worries me. It has been happening since I was younger, but it's more severe now.

I'm 18 years old. In the winter time, when I go out and clean off a car, or even play around in the snow for a short time with siblings.. my fingers and hands get swollen. The swelling can't be seen as much as it can be felt. My fingers get very tight, sometimes I can't bend them too much. They feel very tight and solid to the touch.

It's a really uncomfortable feeling. Sometimes it gets painful, but usually not very much, if at all.

It does happen with my toes a little, but they have to be in the cold a lot. My legs get sort of the same, but not as bad.. they get really itchy instead.

So, I dunno if any of it's common because I've never really asked anyone, it seems sort of weird to me.
 based - Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:36 am

Oh, I forgot to's usually the worst after shoveling.