Question: Sprained Foot Ligament

Blaxjax - Mon Mar 22, 2004 1:48 pm

On March 11th I injured my foot at kung fu trainging by falling on it and twisting at the same time. I did not seek medical help right away because I thought it was just a bruised/sore foot. The problem did not get better by the 18th so I went to the Hospitals ER branch because it was late and the doctor was closed. They took x-rays and said it was not broken, but I have a sprained foot ligament. It is still not better today and it is the 22nd. So it has been 11 days since the injury and no results, except some reduced swelling. It is still black and blue the whole foot and painfull, and just below the ankle joint, on the left side I have a pretty big lump still. That lump at the time of the accident was the size of and egg, it is half that now. It is still painfull to put weight on it so I don't.

Do you think there could be something more serious here? due to it not being healed yet, maybe nerve dmg?...or a such severe sprain that I need surgery? Or should I go see my regular Doc? thanks in advance.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:06 pm

User avatar Dear Blaxjax,

Hope you are feeling better by now.

It usually takes a while for sprain ligaments to heal especially if the sprain was severe enough. If the x-ray did not show any fracture the first time but you still have significant pain that is not resolving or may be even increasing, sometimes there is such an amount of swelling that the x-ray can miss a small fracture, so, sometimes, patients are adviced to repeat the x-ray after the swelling has gone down if the pain was not improving to make sure that there is not any thing that was missed the first time.

If you have a very severe sprain, i think the procedure is to put in cast not to operate and in your case i don't think that both are indicated since the swelling that you are having is improving.

If you had nerve damage, it would have been obvious from minute one and this is usually in the form of inability to move the foot. In the acute phase, if you have such tremendous pain, sometime, this can be a confounding factor as you will not move your foot because of the pain but usually pain medications can be given to make sure that this is not the case.

If you don't think that you have improved by now, go see your doctor and may i suggest a second x-ray on your foot to make sure that a small fracture was not missed the first time because of the swelling that you had in your foot.

Blaxjax - Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:10 pm

Thank you for the reply. I went to see my Doctor the 25th. He checked my foot movement tolerence etc. His diagnosis was that I have a very severe sprain. For treatment he advised me to get an ankle support and put me on 800mg Ibuprofen. And to elevate it. Only moderate use.

If the sprain does not seem to get better in two weeks he said, come back and we will do another X-Ray. Possibly some bone chips etc.

Thanks again for the reply, I thought I would just update.

|