News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: muscle cramping, spasming

Chantal - Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:19 am

Hi, I am a 31 year old woman, non smoker, two drinks a week at the most. I have had many strange symptoms in the last 4 months. I first noticed something when I climbed the stairs to my apartment, I felt like I wasn't sure where my left foot was, felt a little clumsy. That lasted about three months, now it seems better. Sometime in the last two months I have lost 8 pounds without noticing. My appetite has been fine up unitl last week . Under a lot of stress though. Now for my real problem. Two weeks ago I went for a walk , by the time I got home my left leg was very weak, like I'd run a marathon. At night my thigh cramped up and my lower leg felt very tight and the whole leg 'tickled' like it was just about to fall asleep. My big toe was asleep and my leg was aslo tingling. I stayed off of it for a few days and it stopped tingling but was still cramping, only less. Also, my left arm felt cold and tight and a little heavy. I did not feel any weakness in my arm it just had a funny 'slightly heavy' feeling. The next weekend, same story only my face and arm were also tingling. I went to the hospital and they said the tingling in my face was from hyperventilation. EKG was normal. No answer on the leg issue. Since I have one leg slightly longer than the other, they said it might me a pinched nerve. Now my symptoms are getting worse. I went for a 10 minute walk today, no more tingling, but tonight my whole left side was cramping, and also spasmed from my left eye (no change in vision) to my leg. My left forearm also cramped. These spasms and most of the cramping mostly happens at night when I go to bed or is much worse at night. A few other things that are concerning me, I have had really bad heart burn this week with dizziness and yesterday I woke up and was making the bed when I began gasping for breath and felt and strange weakness from my heart. left chest muscle pain and nausea. I've been a little short of breath since then and no appetite. Please help me, I'm scared and I want an idea of what I could be dealing with. Thanks
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:48 pm

User avatar Dear Chantal,

Some of the symptoms that you are describing could be worrisome for a disease called multiple sclerosis. i would strongly urge you to be seen by a neurologist.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.
 Chantal - Wed Mar 31, 2004 2:07 pm

Thank you for your response. I am now seeing a neurologist and he is sending me for some tests like an EEG , CT scan, evoked potential and MRI. Thanks again,
Chantal

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here