News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Big Toe Cramp/Spasm

xxsmellyokellyxx - Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:31 am

I have had these cramps or spasms in my Big toe for as long as i can rmeber but lately theyve been coming very often and i am so tired of them. It makes the muscles near my big toe contract and if i don't flatten out my feet right away it sort of curls cuz the big toe tries to go into the direction of my other toes involuntarily and doesnt go away for a while and wen it does any little thing triggers it. they usually happen wen i make sudden movements wiht my toe or wen im sleeping or jus relaxing...any random time really.... please help they hurt! :(
 Rhonda P, CEP - Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:28 pm

User avatar Dear xxsmellyokellyxx,

The usual cause for muscle spasms or cramps, especially at night is low calcium. You can start by increasing your calcium intake or supplementing it. High protein diets tend to throw our calcium consumption off and they are the big “fad” right now. The other end of the spectrum is too much calcium, this causes muscle cramps also. Stop taking calcium supplements or consuming so much and increase your vitamin C consumption.

We have many muscles, tendons and ligaments in our feet, you may have an irritable flexor or extensor muscle that may be able to be exercised on a regular basis.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here