Question: Ongoing Leg Pain

laura - Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:26 pm

The reason of my post today is to ask you about the possible reason for the following ongoing symptoms:

For months now I've notice my legs would hurt (a pain starting from my lower thigh to my ankles) - especially on the back of my legs - and it hurts inside not on the surface)....before, it would start hurting only when I walked (even if it was around the block)...the pain increased with time, and it's now severe, with a burning like sensation and a numbness on my toes, and it seems to be there at all times....it hurts even if I'm sitting down.

I blamed it on varicose veins...my grandma & mother have them...but mine are very thin and hardly noticeable...anyway, the doctor prescribed some stockings for that - but it didn't help.

I also get big, purple-brownish bruises on my legs for no apparent reason.

My left legs hurts much more than the right one, I am 5'6 and weight around 135lbs.

Thank you very much for all your help.

Laura A.

P.S. - I went to see my doctor again and he ordered some labs: CBC, VA, RBS, CREAT, LYTES, & TSH...but I haven't received the results yet.
 Krnoto55 - Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:48 pm

sounds like part of it could be sciatica. A bulging disc pressing on one of your nerves. I get it all the time. I don't get bruises though.

You're doing the correct thing by seeing your Doctor. By any chance did they do any tests to see if it was nerve pain. For example - laying on the table and lifting a leg straight up?

Good luck,

Ken
 laura - Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for your reply :)

Sciatica?....Now that I remember, I know that there was something wrong with one of my disc....I fell down the stairs once and was going to the chiropractor for a while (he said that was probably the reason for my migraine headaches as well)....but this was many years ago.

As per your question, no...he didn't do that nerve check. As per the tests they did, it seems to me they were checking for possible blood clots.

The bruises are not only in my legs but also in my hips, and arms. They are all sizes and sometimes it's many of them in a cluster form. I notice a set of big ones above my knees (both legs) yesterday.

I've been feeling very tired lately, even if I sleep my eight hours....but other than that I think I'm healthy. Could this be common?? Maybe some people just bruise easy? I hope :)

Thanks again!!

Laura
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:49 pm

User avatar Dear Laura,

Are you taking any medications or any herbal supplements or other products?

Does your diet contain green vegetables?

What did your cbc show? Have you had a coagulation profile done? Liver functions?

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and waiting for your reply.

laura - Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:09 am

Hi Dr. Mokhtar,

Thank you very much for your reply :)

I was taking antibitiotics, cough medicine, & anti-inflammatories - but this was about a month ago......and the leg pain & bruising has been going on for a few months already.

And yes, I do eat a lot of green vegetables :)

They did run a coagulation profile, but I don't know about the liver functions, and this was Friday evening (04/02/04)....I have not hear from them as of yet with the results.....no news is good news I hope :)

Thank you once again, and I will keep you posted.....

Have a great day!

Laura
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:21 pm

User avatar Dear Laura,

Thank you very much for the update.

Are you taking aspirin for any reason? Are you taking any over the counter pain relievers? These can make your platelets dysfunctional and make you bruise easily.

Eating green vegetables makes you less prone to develop vitamin c deficiency and vitamin k deficiency which can lead to easy bruising (so you are good from this point).

Also, some antibiotics, will give you vitamin k deficiency and easy bruising (but you said that you had that even before the antibiotics).

Some herbal preparations also can lead to easy bruising by affecting the coagulation capabilities.

The liver synthesizes proteins that aid in coagulation, so if your liver is not functioning well, you might have easy bruising.

Regarding your ongoing leg pain with the bruises, the explanation could be that you have bruises on the inside of your spine as well giving you this continuous pain.

i have not examined you, but sometimes, a ruptured Backer's cyst (cyst on the back of the knee), which is supposed to be usually evident can give the same picture but is usually more painful.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped.

laura - Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:28 pm

Hello Again,

Well, I have not seen my doctor yet - so I don't know the results of the other tests.....they also added an INR, NTT, & AH.....

I called for the results (because it's been a week already)...and the only messages I had were for the Thyroid Function - NORMAL....and the RSL =76 (NORMAL as well) :)

So far so good!! :) - I just wish I knew what's wrong, or how can I stop or control the pain because it's very uncomfortable....

I do take Vitamin C regularly .....No Aspirin, or any other pain medication (besides when I get my migraines - once in a while .....haven't had one for almost a year :)

And the pain in my legs is not right on the bruised area....it feels as if it inside, especially on the back of my lower leg (more on the left one).

Once again, thank you so much for your help and advice :) - I will keep you posted with the rest of the results ;)

Laura
 laura - Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:48 pm

I just thought I would give you an update...

It's been a month and I never heard anything back from the doctor's office....which I think It's Good :) - No news is good news ...

But the pain is still there ...what would you recommend?

I try increasing my Vit. C Intake, I walk a little more now, drink more water....but my legs still hurt. They have a numbness sensation, and they start hurting as soon as I have continual movement for more than 5 minutes.

I also try to elevate my legs whenever I can (the doc. recomended this), but I would just like to know then, if this will be a permanent situation :(.....

Ok thank you very much for all your helP!

SIncerely,

Laura
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:20 am

User avatar Dear Laura,

Thank you very much for the update.

i would suggest to call your doctor to check about those test results.

If your leg pain is not getting better, and you still have the same pain, eventhough sciatica's pain usually starts in the low back, Ken's suggestion is very reasonable about this being sciatica and i would suggest to ask your doctor to have a ct scan of the lumbar spine. And ask your doctor about the possbility of this being a ruptured Baker's cyst.

How about the bruising? If it is not getting better, and unless this is an old problem and not a new one, i would suggest to discuss seeing a hematologist (blood diseases specialist) with your doctor and see whether he thinks this is a good idea or not.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D

|