News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: RA Knees amd Hips

Antsoppki - Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:45 pm

Hey, I know I was in Neurology a while ago, but like I said, I'm a mess. I'ne have RA for about 9 years. The worst of it is the flare ups. The fire burns like crazy but I do find that daily walking and (believe it or not) Ben-Gay and/or Icy Hot work wonders. I have tried many medications and found that the OTC med's are a good thing to keep on hand. I am not saying to go off your medication, that would be foolish, and in some cases dangerous. For temp relief and a good release of pain to get your joints moving, it works. It also helps to be mobile during this, so if you have mobility problims, ask your doctor if this would be useful for you. Also, AVOID CAFFEINE, it makes a flare up more intense and prolonges the pain. If you need a beverage, try decaf herbal teas, they taste great, and have many flavors. to spice them up try vanilla or cinnanom sticks. You don't have to live with RA, it has to deal with you!
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:21 pm

User avatar Despite your opinion, there are many good drugs today for RA. It only depends on what you need and what you get. These days, it is possible to get most of the patients almost free of pain. Concerning your tips, there is good evidence that special diets will help to stop inflammation. Like avoiding meat and eating lot of fish is good because it withholds things that are important for maintaining inflammation.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here