News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Fibromyalgia, back, hip, knee pain

JenTH - Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:04 pm

I am a 37 yr old female
I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia
Currenly I have severe back pain, hip and knee pain.
There is audible crepitus in my knees when I bend them or travel up steps.
if i am sittng for long periods, as i am a student and have much school work, it's terribly painful to get up and move about.
I also suffer from depression and Panic disorder
My current medications are zoloft 200mg QD and
Klonopin 1mg TID

I occasionally take vicodin es when the pain is severe but most of the time i take motrin around the clock. I have been taking between 10 and 12 motrins a day to combat the pain.

My mother has similar problems and is on Ultram. She says that it really helps.

Can you help me find out how to get a prescription legally for vicodin ES or Ultram (preferred)? I currently have no medical insurance and do not have a regular medical doctor. I have gone to the ER or have gone to walk-in-clinics for the past 4 years without insurance when things get out of control. I graduate in May and will be an RN. At that time i will be eligible for insurance and can make regular doctor visits.
What do you suggest? I just need something to control my pain until i graduate and obtain insurance.. I feel like i'm trapped in a 90 year old body. Thanks for anything that you suggest. Looking forward to an answer, Jen
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:05 am

User avatar In fact, your diagnsosis seems to me not fully etsablished. Osteoarthritis is uncommon in your age, but might be present. Fibomyalgia is very difficult to diagnose bacuse no laboratory investigation can help and no radiologic changes are present, so that the diagnosis should only be done by exclusion. But however, depressions and fibromyalgia are often accompanied. Ultram is not the first line drug you should be prescribed for both diseases.
In Osteoarthritis, if really present, NSAIDS are the right way to treat it. On the other side acetaminophern is mostly not sufficient enough to terat fibromyalgia. We recommend to our patients amitryptinie that has impact on depressions, sleeping disturbances and myalgia aswell. For prescription you should present to a GP or any other doctor.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here