Question: Early Signs of Arthritis?

thoward - Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:17 am

I am 18 years old. Off and on for about 2 years I rarely have instant pains or soreness that will last for about 30 minutes. I usually get these pains in the palms of my hands, mostly around the thumb and index finger area, and my knees. Lately, the pain is coming back more often and hurts more. When I close up something, zip up something, when I am holding something or just out of nowhere my hand(s) will hurt. When I sit for a long period of time my knee(s) get very sore, especially when I am sleeping. I do crack my fingers and pop my wrists (this was a habit growing up) and everytime I bend down my knees will crack. I also used to (and I am trying to get out of the habit of..) lock my knees when I stand.

It gets to the point that if I don't crack anything, it gets very sore and keeps me from sleeping. My mother had the same problem when she was my age, and she recently got her hip replaced (cartlidge was gone-bone against bone). I think I inhareted this, but is this early signs of arthritis? Should I see a doctor about this, or can I do/take any home remedies/home medicine for this?

Please help me understand, :roll:

Tanya
 cardiosurgeon - Mon May 10, 2004 7:12 am

hi
i have some questions for you
regarding the pain in your hands and knees, did you notice any swelling, warmth?
does this pain occur at any time of the day, or it is associated with specific times, such as after waking up in the morning?
does it get worse it better with physical activity?
regarding your mother, do you know what the exact diagnosis was?
 thoward - Mon May 10, 2004 7:30 pm

Yesterday, May 9th, I noticed something that looked like a welt above my knee cap, I am not sure how this came about, but it only hurts on the inside like its a big bruise and has small dots like a rash or something, I think I might have bumped it on something, but other than that... It hurts when I walk for a long time or sit in a car for a long time -that is when I notice it the most.

My mothers diagnosis was "severe degineris arthritis" I am not a good speller. My hand doesn't hurt like my knee does, sometimes the pain in my knee shoots up to my thigh. The hand pain sometimes just comes out of nowhere and stiffins up real bad for a few seconds, but when this pain in my knee/thigh comes, it lasts for a long time. I do not regularly exercise as much as I should and I do a lot of walking at work (restaurant).
 cardiosurgeon - Tue May 11, 2004 8:34 am

i think what you ment is that your mother had degenerative arthritis, which is usually a disease of old age, although it can happen at any age, this disease is not familial
regarding you symptoms, i'm really confused now, at the beginning, i was thinking about rheumatoid arthritis, but your description of the pain being most severe after walk and sitting doesn't match since the pain in rheumatoid arthritis is most severe in the morning and after rest or sitting, but relieved by physical activty
i advise you to go and consult your family doctor will be of more help sinc s/he will be able to examine you, take proper history and do the necessary tests.
hope you get better and everything goes well
i'll appreciate it if you tell me about the diagnosis later on
 thoward - Thu May 13, 2004 1:10 pm

I was diagnosed with Iliotibial Band Fasciitis Syndrome or Iliotibial Band Syndrome. I was told to do stretching exercises every day or I would have to go to physical therapy. If I did nothing about it, when I am 40 my knees will be 80.
 cardiosurgeon - Mon May 24, 2004 11:54 pm

i'm sorry to hear that you have this disorder
but i hope you stick to you dorctor's advice and evrythings goes well

|