Question: Mild pain/discomfort causing concern

Markieman234 - Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:27 am

Over the past 1-2 months I have observed an occasional mild pain cropping up in the lower left side of my stomach / abdomen. Until now I have ignored it, thinking it irrelevant and that it will go away.
As an 18 year old male college freshman, I account this pain to excessive consumption of fatty foods and one too many alcoholic beverages; however I always try to eat as much fruit and veg. a day as possible.
Deduced from this, my diet consists mainly of: a sandwich at around 2pm, 3 pieces of fruit in the afternoon following this and in the evening something like a couple of hamburgers or pasta. Following this I consume another 2 pieces of fruit.
The main evening meal is often consumed late, at around 10pm, as I do not feel any particular appetite at around the normal dinner time.
I have no past diagnoses of any particular medical conditions, nor have I undergone any form of surgery. There is a genetic history of heart disease, however I do not consider this to be of significant importance in this case. I do not consume any current medications at the moment, aside from the odd aspirin / ibuprofen when I have headaches, which are not frequent.
Perhaps noting is the fact I have undergone a lot of stress recently.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your time.

Mark A. Fulton
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:05 pm

Abdominal pain is a nonspecific symptom for many medical conditions. Associated symptoms would help to reach the diagnosis.

In general pain felt in the lower left side of the abdomen can be due to many causes including:
- Excess gas and distension
- Indigestion
- Colitis due to Infectious or inflammatory causes, in most of cases there is also diarrhea.
- IBS in which the diagnosis is mainly by exclusion of other causes.
- Renal problems cause colic and is associated with urinary symptoms like frequency and dysuria.
- Recurrent abdominal pain can be a somatization for emotional or psychological problems.

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.

Upper left abdominal pain of GI origin is commonly related to gastritis (in frequent analgesic users) and GERD.

According to your presenting history, It sounds to be related to GI causes and your dietary habits. Try to modify the style of your life (exercise more) and your feeding habits.

.

|