Question: Ganglion Cyst

Joelle07 - Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:40 pm

My husband is 24 years old - male, and this is more of a question for him. For the past year, whenever the weather changes, a golf-ball sized knot appears on his right wrist and renders him helpless. I have read that these cysts are generally painless, but his is excruciating. He has never been to a doctor, but we contacted a doctor and they said he most likely has a ganglionic cyst, and no one in his family has ever had anything like this. He has taken tylenol, advil, and asprin, but nothing helps with the pain. We currently don't have insurance, so neither of us can afford to go to a doctor. I was wondering if there is an over the counter product that can help manage the pain or help reduce the size of the cyst. He works in a warehouse and it is imperative that he uses his hands. Thanks.
 leebrtn9 - Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:08 am

Hi Joelle, i'm replying in m husbands name - he posted here recently about the lump on his foot which we have since learnt is also a ganglion cyst. The NHS here means that we can pursue removal through our local hospital and that seems to be the only solution available - although my understanding is that that may not be a permanent solution either. A little internet research has revealed that these used to be called bible bashers or something similar due to the old custom of whacking them firmly with a bible or similar large hard object which coudl sometimes make the fluid disperse. They are generally only painful if they are pushing against a nerve which is more likely to happen the bigger they are. I don't recommend striking it with force, but applying a very firm pressure to the lump can "pop" (for want of a better word) the cyst and allow some of the fluid to drain away. Do keep in mind that whilst that may bring relief, the cyst will refill with fluid eventually. Hope that helps anyway.

|