Question: Inactive Lupus

Jelvibean - Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:59 pm

Hi, I am 32 years old and had a baby 4 months ago. During my very healthy and normal pregnancy I had a False/Positive ANA test. After having the baby I was asked to see a Rheumatologist and was first diagnosed with Collagen Vascular Disease. My brother has active chronic lupus and after further testing I was diagnosed with inactive lupus. The only thing the doctor has me on is a baby Aspirin since people with this immune disorder are more at chances of blood clots. I have always been very healthy. I have never had one complaint on any type of pain or symptom related to Lupus or any disease in its family, but now after 4 months of having my baby I am going on 3 weeks of head aches and dizziness. I also feel my legs just a slite bit numb and minor tingling at times sitting. I am not sure if this is something I should be concerned about. Could my headaches and the legs be Lupus that was never active and now after the baby decided to wake up. I fear it to be, and am very sad to hear that I probably would need to think twice on another pregnancy when I would truely love to have another baby in the future. I had a prefect healthy one and never any miscarriages. Can anyone give me some facts on cases such as mine. I cant help being worried. Thank you in advance for your responses.
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:04 pm

User avatar Don´t panic. Indded, it is not unusual to get lupus during or after pregnancy. As long as the disease is not active, you are almost as healthy as me. But, it is correct, thtat you and your doctor have to think about lupus evertime when you have any new symptoms. Headache might have many reasons, but one reasons might also be lupus. I´m wondering, why you are getting Aspirin if lupus is not active. Do you have any antibodies that might clot yout blood like lupus phospholipid antibodies ? Those are sometimes correlated with migraine or other sorts of headache in lupus. Tell your rheumatologist about the fact and ask if he thinks you might need an MRI.

Beside the things today, you should not panic about other pregnancies. Depending on the next months and the time right before the next possible pregnancy, it is not excluded that you will have no poblems with any other pregnancies.

|