News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Is the chiropractor making me worse or better?

sarahe - Tue May 25, 2004 12:31 pm

I was having hip pain that prohibited sleeping on my side. Also, headaches and the feeling that my back was out of alignment. (Also, coincidentally, a sinus infection) I went to see a chiropractor who put me on a treatment plan of 3X/wk adjustments. Apparently, I had subluxations in the top 2 vertebrae (which effect the sinuses), a couple in the middle back and a couple in the lower back. I've been going 4 weeks now and after the first 2, I developed very big knots in my shoulders and back. I started getting extremely bad headaches that started at the base of my skull and sometimes were accompanied by nausea and vomiting. I was attributing them to the sinus infection that I've been on antibiotics for the last 2 weeks (also seeing an ENT). But my sinuses seem to be getting better, and I still get the headaches every few days. Nothing seems to help them. (I've tried Ibuprophen, Ice packs, muscle relaxers, migraine medicine, tylenol sinus, and even vicoden) I'm now having a lot of back pain, but it all seems muscular. Except that many times I can't sleep on one side or the other because it hurts my neck and that seems structural. Some days are better than others. Sometimes the adjustments seem to make me feel better and sometimes worse. The chiropractor says that he's adjusting me and that my working around the house is pulling me right back out again and that my muscles are just spasming because of that. Should I be patient and rest or see an MD? I've always had faith in chiropractors, but I'm too young to feel this rotten! Thanks so much for whatever thoughts you may have.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 25, 2004 1:23 pm

User avatar sarahe,
You mentioned that you were found to have sublaxations and possibly other disc related problems. How was that diagnosed? Did you get any x-rays or scans done on your spine. Thats very important because if you didnt you could have something else in your spine that would get worse without the proper care.
 sarahe - Tue May 25, 2004 1:33 pm

He used a device that supposedly measures skin temperatures along the spine which indicate nervous system disturbances. It also measures muscle tone and electrical activity along the spine on a 25 uV scale. It produced a very high-tech result sheet showing "Static EMG Scan Graphics, Asymmetry and a Rolling Thermal Scan" results. I've never seen this before, and at the time, thought it was pretty cool. But, no, he didn't do any X-rays.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue May 25, 2004 3:35 pm

User avatar Its a good idea to see an MD (rheumatologist) and get some images done. Think of it as a second opinion.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here