Question: Undiagnosed joint pain

MikeW - Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 am

Hi

My 56yo overweight by about two stone mother who is on betablockers for mild hypertension has since september experienced swelling predominently in her hands and feet/ankles. The swelling moves around such that the hands are generally swollen, OR the ankles. Skin is painful to touch.

She has had many, many tests done includeing RA and all came back negative, the consultant (rheumatologist I think) got quite shirty with my mother and half accused her of making up the symptoms and dismissed her ailment as "wear and tear", even though he had a month earlier joyfuly told her that the xrays had come back pretty much normal.

Lots of blood tests and xrays, all 'normal'.

Please please if anyone can offer some advice, even on what to look at next, it would be very much appreciated.

Mike
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:30 am

User avatar Indeed, it is possible that alle test are normal but pain is still present. It is important to differentiate it is inflammation or not. A nuclear scan can differentiate between inflqammation and joint pain of other courses, although it does not say waht case ist is. But the differentation will make things easier. For both siutationes, there are several therapeutic options .
 MikeW - Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:45 pm

Thank you very much for your insight.. i will relay this and see if a nuclear test has been done already and if so, what the results were.

Mike
 MikeW - Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Hi there

I confirmed that my mother has had a bone scan done, is that what you mean? The bone scan required an injection, and she was told not to touch anyone or go near kids for the day.

The test revealed "general wear and tear but nothing conclusive".

Any ideas please?

In the meantime, we are seeking a second opinion.
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:57 pm

User avatar That´s right. By this bone scan an acute inflammation has been excluded that might suggest some non-inflammatory joint pain like osteoarthritis
 MikeW - Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:25 am

Do you mean that osteoarthritis is an acute inflammation and this has been excluded, or do you mean that the fact that the acute inflammation has been excluded could suggest that her disease is OA?

Sorry, your post is a little ambiguous - I do very, very much appreciate your kind help however.
 Dr. P. M. Aries - Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:19 pm

User avatar the nuclear scan has "excluded" an inflammatory process. Therefore, osteoarthritis might be the right diagnosis.
 MikeW - Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:27 pm

She is now being investigated for Cushings disease!? The symptoms have moved up to her upper body, mostly neck, upper arms and shoulders. Her hand movement has improved though still restricted slightly and the swelling has diminished but there is still a bit of ternderness.. as I say though, most of the symptoms are now upper-upper body.
 MikeW - Mon May 28, 2007 4:14 pm

Just for anyone else who might have same symptoms, the Dr's diagnosed Rheumatoid Arthritis in the end and prescribed drugs (not sure which).

|