News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Brain Fog - disconnected Feeling

reggietoga - Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:07 pm

following a bad viral infection (at least thats what the doctors called it because they couldnt find anything) in which i had bad stomach pain and complete loss of appetite for 2 weeks, i started getting flashes of being lightheaded. after a few days of these flashes, it suddenly became constant. i originally described it as vertigo, but i am not dizzy, i just feel as if I am medicated or disconnected from the world. Brain fog is the best term i can find as i just feel "off" and have difficulty doing things that i could normally do with my eyes closed. this has been going on for 2 months now, and it is frustrating. concentration is difficult, and i feel as if something is definately wrong with me. also, this past week i have started to get tingling sensations in my forehead area. these come and go and seem to be random. I have seen an ent doc, as well as a neurologist, and my next stop is a cardiologist i believe. below are some tests that i have had done.

ct scan of head (came back normal)
MRI (awaiting results)
blood work (came back normal - multiple times)
hearing test (normal)

anyone with similar symptoms? before anyone asks, i don't have any problems with anxiety or stress as i am one of the most laid back guys that you will ever meet. i just cant shake this thing.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:14 am

User avatar Hi reggietoga,
The symptom of being lightheaded is dizziness. Vertigo may certainly produce this symptom. The evaluation by the ENT and Neurologist should identify if another disorder is present. If it is indeed vertigo causing the symptoms you are experiencing there are medications that relieve these symptoms.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN
 reggietoga - Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:44 am

thank you for the reply. i have been to a neurologist and had an mri of my head which came back normal. doc said he doesnt think its a neurological problem.

my head still doesnt feel right. i don't feel dizzy, but my head feels like i have been drugged. i feel like this all of the time now. when i look around its as if my eyes have trouble processing what i am seeing and i get this distorted view of the world. it has gone on for aprox 5 months now after a bad stomach virus. my hands get shaky and i still have some digestion problems (constipation, diarhea) and i have very sporatic bowel movements now.

twice within the past 5 months my glands or lymph nodes on my jawline (left side) have become sore and remain that way for aprox 7-10 days. this has never happened to me before either. my primary doc wants me to get a ct scan of my neck, but i think he is grasping at straws now. he is out of ideas, and i am not sure where to turn now. i am scared that i will be this way forever.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here