Question: baker's cyst

lindam627 - Fri May 28, 2004 7:37 am

I had a lipoma removed from the back of my right knee 2 1/2 yrs ago,and it is back again. I had it removed the first time because it was really painful. I am very active,and work out at the gym 6 days a week. (right now i can't because i tore my posterior tibial tendon & i'm having surgery in 2 wks. )
My question is will this keep coming back? This time it seems to be bigger than the last time. I have a lot of pain when i drive and when i bend my knee.

Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 29, 2004 6:27 am

User avatar lindam627,
Are you complaining of Baker cyst or a lipoma? Did you say lipoma based on a pathology report. A Baker cyst, also called a popliteal cyst, is swelling caused by knee joint fluid protruding to the back of the knee (popliteal area of the knee). While, lipoma is a benign tumor arising from the fat tissues.
 lindam627 - Sat May 29, 2004 6:41 am

It was a baker's cyst. sorry to confuse you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat May 29, 2004 5:27 pm

User avatar Linda,
Your Baker's cyst is back because of the torn posterior tibial tendon. The torn tendon causes inflammation in the synovial (joint) membrane leading to increased production of the lubricant fluid in the joint space leading to Baker's cyst.
The removal of the torn ligament and the cyst should prove to be a lasting cure. Recurrences after surgery are usually very rare.

To find out more details check out our Baker's cyst page.
 lindam627 - Mon May 31, 2004 7:06 am

My oppostie leg is the one with the torn posterior tibial tendon.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon May 31, 2004 7:11 am

User avatar You could be putting your joints under a lot of stress by excercising too hard. What has your doctor made of this? If that is the case then that will be the cause for your recurrent Baker's cyst. Like I said earlier, the whole idea to prevent recurrences is to treat the cause behind the development of the cyst.

Good luck with your operation.
 lindam627 - Mon May 31, 2004 1:36 pm

Dr. Fouad,
Thank you. The orthopedic surgeon I see told me come back to him after my surgery & he will help me then. My foot doctor doing the surgery recommended I see another orthopedic surgeon about this.
I also have pain in my shin,but I am guessing that's related to the stress too,right?
thanks,
Linda

|