Question: Edema, Sweating, unexplained weight gain

f7872 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:17 pm

I am a 33 year old woman who began having serious problems in January. I gained 20 pounds over two months with no reason. I exercise daily and eat very healthy foods. I am experiencing edema and stiff joints in the morning in my hands and feet. Also, I have been sweating constantly, even when It is cold outside. They have tested me for Thyroid, and hormone problems with negative results. I have had multiple blood work done. My doctor thinks it could be Lupus. In addition, going up a flight of stairs tires me out and my heart beats rapidly. My doctor has scheduled an echo and a respiratory test.

This happened to a lesser degree last year and we thought it was caused by the mold in the building I was in. It stopped once we moved. I am now in a new building.

Does anyone have any ideas.
 Dr. N. Haider - Wed Mar 01, 2006 11:24 pm

User avatar hi,
I am not of the opinion that a mold has been causing all of this..although it could be a factor in breathlessness.

The echo and respiratory tests will sort things out. We also need to run tests for Lupus and other autoimmune disorders. Were tests for kidney function BUN creatinine normal? Do you notice any fever?
 f7872 - Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:03 pm

They did check the creatinine level. It was .7 I have not had any fever. I have begun to get a feeling lately of pressure on my chest. I can still breath fine, it just feels like pressure.

Since this started I have also had constant flatulence, a problem I never had in the past.
 Dr. N. Haider - Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:24 pm

User avatar I apologize for a late reply.

The creatinine level is normal. And you have mentioned that you have not had any fever.

Let me know the test results of echo and respiratory tests.

Flatulence is most likely not related to other symptoms. You might be able to explain it on the food you took.

|