News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Scary New Pain

LEJ1445 - Wed May 10, 2006 5:14 am

Hi, I am a 21 year old male and am experiencing a type of pain that is unlike anything I have had before. I woke up this morning experiencing pain in the right side of my neck that only occurs when I take deep breaths, yawn, or sneeze. I am wondering if this is just a pulled muscle or penched nurve and I should just take a few tylenol and forget about it or if it could be something more serious. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:42 pm

User avatar Dear LEJ1445,

I wounder if you have been exposed to sudden head trauma, as it sounds like cervical radiculopathy.
The pain you have described is similar to pinched nerve due to disc prolapse.

If you mean that the pain is felt in the apical chest, then Your symptoms are very likely to be due to Pleurisy.
Pleurisy is an inflammation of the pleura, the double layered membrane that covers the lung. In your case it is the apical pleura.
The condition is due to viral infection in most of the cases.

The pain is felt like sharp pain on one side or less commonly in both sides, it increases with deep breath. The pain usually stops once you hold your breath and results in rapid, shallow breathing. Auscultation of the chest shows a characteristic sound known as pleural rub.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here