Question: neck- / backinjury related muscular condition?

ayreland - Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:24 am

I have the following muscular condition (have had it for about +5 years now) :

my muscles can't stand maximum effort long without getting into a sort of a 'cramp', serious constant pain that doesn't go away by holding something cold on the hurting muscle or by laying down. The pain first occurs right after the exercise (I could probably push the pain quite long by continuing the exercise and make it even worse) and gets more severe the following few minutes and it takes up to almost 10 minutes to fully recover which of the first 5-7 are total pain. I have a long background in sports and it ain't lactic acid making me feel this, trust me..

I can get the condition to appear by i.e. running 400 meters once as fast as I can (or twice at 95% with a one and a half minute break in between) or by doing 40 pushups as fast as I can (not by doing as many pushups as I can SLOWLY).

My question is two phased - a) do you think it is possible (likely?) that this muscular condition I'm experiencing, could be because of a neck- or back-injury? To my understanding neural signals can cause cramps? ..and my lower back and neck have experienced quite a few slumps (snowboarding accidents mainly) and the timeframe might actually back this theory up considering the origin of both the back- slash neckproblems and the muscular condition are about the same. The neck- and backinjuries are not severe but exist all the same. They (neck and back) both are superrefracting if that means anything..

b) could you make any (possible) diagnose and is there any hope for me to get rid of this condition? It's a real pain in the ass for an athlete..

Thanks allready in beforehand..
 Dr. Russell M - Fri Jun 11, 2004 11:16 pm

User avatar Hi!

I see that you are suffering from sports related musculoskeletal pain, especially after exertion. I do not have a diagnosis to your problem, but would sure like to know what your doctor (who has examined you) has to say regarding all of this. Also, have you undergone any workup, and if so, can you provide us with the results? What are the treatments you have received for your present complaint?

bill
 ayreland - Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:01 pm

The doctor (special sports doctor at a sports-doctor facility) ouldn't really say anything, only that I should make a 'maximumtest' where one runs (or cycles) hooked up to machinery that records everything to get some clues on what is happening at maximum stress. This was a year ago and since a) haven't had the money (approx 150 euros) & b) condition only appears at MAXIMUM stress and I really don't suffer from this ALL THAT much (it really doesn't hurt if I do stuff at 93%) - I still haven't taken the test..

Musculoskeletal pain?? Has something to do with my bones? You sure on this one? I'm really not feeling any pain in my bones.. I would really be more confident with a theory where some pressure on the spine causes some nerve-signals that then again cause a severe pain condition in my muscles. Actually, when I suggested this theory to the doctor at my visit a year ago, he outruled it basically only because he couldn't really think how my lower-back-injury could make ALL my muscles act similarly (not just legs). The thing is that for some reason I didn't mention my neck-injury to him then (suppose I hadn't thinked all through myself by that time), so I would really like to know what he would say about the same theory him knowing I actually have a neck-injury too..

Really, thanks for the reply, Bill. I'll try to read on this musculoskeleta pain you brought up but if this text brings up any further suggestions (or guesses, by all means!), please reply once more, I would really like to get my condition diagnosed some day..

|