News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Pain in left arm.

Gelsamel - Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi, I'm an 18 year old male from Australia. I have no history of muscle pain and I have never done any surgery. Not sure about family history with muscle pain and I'm on no current medication.

Basically what's been happening is my left arm has been hurting in variable spots with varying amounts of pain at varying times. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at all for a while, but mostly it hurts slightly, though every now and again it becomes excruciating for an amount of time, also if I lift my arm into certain places it seems to lose strength. I usually do Aikijujutsu but we've just had a Christmas break so I haven't been exercising much lately. I've tried stretching my arm around and using it and stuff but to no avail. And this only in my left arm, the rest of my body is fine.

Any idea what is up?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:46 pm

User avatar What you are experiencing may be due to a muscle strain or other muscle injury. With you description of the weakness, it is also possible that you may be experiencing some nerve problems-possibly a compressed spinal nerve from a slipped disk or other process.

Nerve pain typically is described as burning, tingling or shooting pain. It may or may not be accompanied by weakness.

I would suggest that you be evaluated by a physician. There may be a specific treatment to help relieve your pain. Also, if there is some nerve compression, physical therapy may be of some benefit. Your doctor can help in getting this set up.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here