News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Undifferentiated Connective Tissue diease..very confused

Lottie - Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Hi there,

I am very confused and hoped somebody may be able to shed some light on this whole thing for me.

I have been unwell for the past 5 years and I always beleived I had CFS. About 18 months ago I had some more blood tests done and I was refered to a Rheumatologist due to a positive ANA and elivated ESR.
They did many tests on me and I had positive anti double stranded DNA IgM. In the past I have also had a weakly positive lupus inhibitor which i guess went negative again in other test and the same thing happend with a weakly positive anti cardiolipin antibody.
The consultant said I did not seem to show any symptoms of lupus and she didnt know why i felt tired, achey, swollen glands, sore throat etc etc all the time. I asked her if it is possible I had M.E but she said there was no such thing.
I was diagnosed with Undifferentiated mixed connective tissue disease but she said from the results they have had back it doesnt explain why I have had these symptoms for the last 5 years.
Is it possible to have CFS and UCTD?
I also have boderline pernitious anemia.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Charlotte
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:14 pm

User avatar Rheumatology is a difficult field because for many of the diseases we really don't understand them well. This area is basically the specialty of autoimmune diseases.

Your positive antibody tests are laboratory evidence for Systemic Lupus Erythematosis. However, laboratory data is really only one or two of the diagnostic criteria for SLE. There are about 11 different criteria and from your description it sounds as if you do not have many of the others (all actual symptoms or signs).

The term undifferntiated mixed connective tissue disorder is really a grab-bag term that includes all the diseases that we have yet to be able to diagnosis or differentiate from one another.

Often it may take several years for these diseases to fully present themselves. It is also possible that you have CFS.

Follow up with your doctor/rheumatologist is important. Keep them aware of any new symptoms you develop as these may help in the diagnosis.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here