Question: can general anaesthetic trigger a flare of ra?

jasmine_g - Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi I am 28 yr.old female who was diagnosed with fibromayalgia 3 and half years ago and rheumatoid arthritis 3 yrs ago.I have been off my anti-malaria drugs for 18mths as I was pregnant and then breastfeeding.I was doing quite good and only taking anti-inflam.every now and agin until last w/end. Suddenly out of the blue I have had an awful flare.My knees,hands,wrists,ankles and hips are all painful and the anti-inflam.I was given isnt working.I am finding it very hard as I have an energetic 9 month old son and find it very picking him up and that.I am thinking of going back to my rheumatologist as I am finding it hard to deal with the pain. I never had much pain in my hips and ankles,can this juit develop?

Also I am goijng for sinus surgery on 30th march and I am bit worried that the general anaesthetis might cause my ra to flare up worse,is this a possibility?

Would apprecitae any help or advice, thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:52 pm

User avatar Rheumatoid arthritis can be progressive and begin to involve more joints. It is known to be able to affect the hips and ankles. In fact, it is one of the most common arthritis types that manifest with hip pain.

Regarding a flare up due to anesthesia, I was unable to find any information on this in the literature. My inclination is to say that it is unlikely for anesthesia to induce a flare up; however, I have no data to support my thought.

It will be important for your anesthesiologist to know that you have rheumatoid arthritis. RA can present some challenges to the anesthesiologist so he'll need to be prepared for this.

jasmine_g - Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:44 pm

Thank you for your reply dr.chan lowe.I'm not sure if I am having a really bad ra flare or have a virus or something but yesterday my pain got really excrucitaing in my knees,ankles,hands,wrists,back and shoulders.I also had a low grade fever 38.4 and was very stiff.I was too uncomfortable and in pain to sleep last night.I feel just as bad today except I don't seem to be having a low grade temp. Do you think its a bad ra flare and should I go to my rheumatologist? How can you tell if symptoms are from ra or just a virus?

|