Question: ANA 1:2560

carolw - Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:46 pm

I am 49 female. I had test done came back I was anemic and and sed rate was 57. with an ana of 2560. My doctor put me on prednezone and plaquenil and sent me to a rheumy. He did the tests again and everything came out in the normal range except for the ANA which continues to be 2560. I am just wondering why I would continue to have such a High ANA when everything else seems normal.

thank you
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:49 am

User avatar Elevated ANA is often a marker that signals systemic lupus erythematosis (commonly known as lupus). However, there is a small percentage of the population that will have a positive ANA without any underlying disease.

Several other rheumatologic diseases can have a positive ANA also.

If you are completely asymptomatic it is possible that you are one of those with an incidentally positive ANA. It is a good idea to see the rheumatologist anyway to have a thorough evaluation. Occasionally, the ANA may begin to rise before the other symptoms appear. Your rheumatologist will be able to help decipher this for you.

|