News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Migratory Joint Swelling

ttocsscott - Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:36 pm

I am a 42 year old white male who experiences yearly migratory joint swelling. First occurrence was when I was 27 years old. I am otherwise healthy. 6'2", 195 lbs, bike, surf, hike regularly.

Typically, swelling would flare up in September, gone by February. Swelling would start in right thumb or right big toe, move to left elbow, then right knee and left knee. Never in two joints at once. Can be debilitating when in the knees. Last about 1-3 weeks per joint and will visit some joints twice.

Happened every year I lived in Sacramento (5 yrs), most years I lived in San Diego(5 yrs) and never in Lake Tahoe until now (5 yrs) I had assumed that low altitude was a contributor but obviously not any more.

2001-2004 (Sac) swelling would start to occur in Jan or Feb, 2005 & 2006, no swelling (Tahoe) but this year just started in March up here.

Have been through rigorous testing at Scripps in San Diego and Kaiser in Sacramento.. Kaiser felt this was a palindromic RA but none of the medications (Lodine and other nsaids) have any positive effect on my symptoms. Huge doses of ibuprofen (2000 mg) help the pain but I try not to do it.
Scripps had no confirmed diagnosis after blood and stool work.

I need HELP! Will try anything.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:02 pm

User avatar When one has a migratory arthritis affecting only one joint at a time, lyme disease comes to mind. It is not commonly found in your area to my knowledge (but I would verify this) although cases are seen throughout the US intermittently. This can be tested for by a blood test.

Seeing a rheumatologist may also be of help as some autoimmune diseases can present this way.

Unfortunately I can't be of much more help.

Best wishes.
 LACEYXO2 - Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:58 pm

have your doctor check you for GOUT this sounds very simular to the symptoms of gout... good luck

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here