Question: Blood work? Is my doc crazy?

brokenseraph - Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:52 pm

I am a 28 year old female who is having rapidly progressing symptoms. I was fine about 4 months ago and simply had some aches.

Now I am having myalgias, arthragias, my skin texture has gone from thin and dry to shiny and tight through out my face, hands, back, and legs, my eyes and mouth are completely dry, my esophogus is like a rock when I swallow, I have tons of restriction in my lungs, and + protein to ++ protein in my urine constistently.

I just saw a rhuematologist who said he does not think it is scleroderma or lupus or ra. (!!!!) When I asked why he did not feel it is scleroderma he simply replied "30 years of experience".

I had normal range cbc, cmp, esr, ana, and rhuematoid factor in jan. He feels there is no need to recheck these and stated that "blood values do not change in the course of a few weeks or months."

How long does it take before you would expect to see changes in some of these levels? I know cbc levels can change in days due to infection and such but what about the other values?

He seemed pretty irritated when questioned this statement and said that I had heard conflicting information before about blood values. HELP>
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:33 pm

User avatar Dear brokenseraph,

Most of the rheumatological diseases are diagnosed based on the clinical picture rather than blood tests.

Having a normal cbc or esr does not necessarily mean that you do or don't have the disease.

If you don't like your doctor, you can always have a second opinion.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

brokenseraph - Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:51 pm

That kind of answers my question about my doc. :) He says he wants to see the old blood work from jan before he can say what I have because without the blood work he can not give a diagnosis.

Due to the dramatic level of skin changes I have had, I may look into another doc. :)

This guy makes me nervous and seemed pretty quick to rule stuff out but without anwsers, ideas, or the desire to do more testing.

|