Question: Increasing body pains - fibromyalgia?

almsah - Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:53 pm

I sure hope I put this in the right place im sorry if I did not. I am a 25 year old female. I will start with my history. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with Mononucleosis, this had me down for several months. After recovering I noticed I was bleeding easily. After several months of testing I was diagnosed with ITP (idiopathich thrombocytopenic purpura). My platelets always ranged between 5 and 25k. I was giving IVIG, gamma globulin, steriod, ect. Nothing worked. In the process I was tested for Lupus = negative. I tested positive for cytomagalovirus though, which I guess is pretty common. After two years of low platelets and no resolve they dropped to 1k and I had an emergency splenectomy. It seemed all was well but I havent felt the same since. And as time goes by I feel worse. My platelets are staying at a cool 350k which is great though. Last year after two years of soar throats and white patches in my throat I had a tonsillectomy. And over the past 5 years I have had body pain all over and extreme fatigue.
Starting about two years ago it got much worse, the pain was becoming very intense. After blood test and doctors visits I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, which didnt surprise me since my aunt has it as well. But over the past 6 months it has just felt like something more is going on. I have been getting intermittent headaches, the body paints are becoming yet more sever, and my soar throat is back, im even more exhausted then usual. This past week the headache has not stopped and my neck is so stiff as well as my back. My hands and feet have been becomming numb easily. And I have an area on the back of my neck that feels like two swollen lymphnodes. I have been scheduled for a ct scan but I just feel like it will of course be fine and I I will never figure out what is going on with me.
I had a blood test two days ago and had a high wbc count at 13.8 high lymphocytes at 5.54, high monocytes at 1.34 and high eosinophil at .45.
The pain is just becomming intollerable and I feel like I will never know what is going on. Is it all just fibromyalgia?? Why would my neck be stiff and I have swollen lymphnodes (they have been this way for the past 6 months but are becomming more sensative). My head is constantly pounding and I feel unable to even stay awake even when moving around.
Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much.
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:27 am

User avatar Dear Almsah,
I admire your straightforward approach to determining the latest assault on your body. At 25 you have learned more about your body and the medical challenges you have faced than many seniors! I am not a rheumatologist or hematologist, however in my nursing practice I have seen much. Has your primary MD sent you to a rheumatologist? This is a person who may be best able to diagnose such elusive and pervasive diseases as Lupus - in its many forms. I venture to guess there is a commonality between all your earlier clinical problems and your current concerns. On the surface of the information you provided, it is difficult to come up with a differential diagnosis. It seems prudent to me for you to pursue specialists in hematology/oncolog, or rheumatology; and consider doing the CT that was recommended - or an MRI if indicated. The sooner that the common factor can be identified means the sooner appropriate therapy can begin.

|