Question: connective tissue disorder of some kind?

Anonymous - Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:23 am

hi!
im 18 years old, male, i eat really well, get a decent amount of exercise...

i've basically been symptomless for most of my life. i was born with bowed legs, i has some odd intestinal/digestion problems as a toddler, as well as some relatively obvious mental abnormalities. i was especially difficult as a child, problems in school, constant horrible nightmares. i never "cared". emotional detachment, maybe you could call it. they do exist, they don't register. some kind of mild autism? maybe. im missing some functions, others seem stronger than in anyone else i know. perhaps a neurochemical issue or structural problem,. the end result was a diagnosis of ADD. im not even sure if this is nessecary, and sorry if it isn't.. but i think it could be a revelant piece of the puzzle. something is off, distorted, whatever, with my brain. uh, im rambling...and no one is going to read this.. soo let me just give off a list of symptoms over the years. this will turn into a 2500 word existential essay in any other format.. :

*i've broken each of my arms twice. two of the times, it seemed like it shouldn't have snapped so easily.

*finger tremors

* "harmless" heart murmor

* "moderate", asymmetrical sunken chest appeared after my growth spurt,,at least partially caused by terrible posture

*delayed puberty, didn't happen until late 15s early 16s

*im 6'3 and 150 pounds. im really lanky, i have long fingers. i eat a lot but don't gain weight.

*within the last year, my big and middle toes have been going numb. it almost seems random, MAYBE caused by tempature? it showed up really suddenly last summer when i was away at risd pre-college. the only possible connection i can see is that i started smoking a lot more there. 1/2 pack a day or so. oh and coffee! i probably had a lot of coffee there with sleepless nights preceeding. i still drink a cup or so a day.

*my hands and feet are always freezing.

*lately, my fingernails turn blue if i get cold at all

*the veins in my left testicle seem to be swollen. they have been forever, it hasn;t really been a problem.

*within the last few weeks, the under side of my theigh has become numb constantly. kind of in between the crease under my knee cap, half way up my leg. mostly mid leg on the under side.

*a week ago (this is what freaked me out and why im posting this for the most part) my whole shoulder/neck area started to go numb. almost to the very core of the muscle, it wasn't just on the surface. it was more of a tingling sensation more than numbness, and it didn't go away after standing up and doing jumping jacks. lasted a 1/2 hour, maybe? i was also super super stoned, im not sure if that could have anything to do with it. i was sitting in my computer chair when it happened.

*my legs get numb really easily. after say, 5 minutes of sitting foot-on-knee. which is how i usually sit

*low blood pressure, apparently

this is alll i can think of off the top of my head. theres probably more. none of it is too serious, just very worrisome to me.

i have sort of been tested for marfans syndrome. i had an EKG, and my heart was "fine". no other testing..

thanks a lot, if anyone replys to this. i worry about it daily and it would be nice to get a doctors opinion to clear things up
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:34 pm

User avatar Many of your symptoms are pretty non-specific; however, your multiple areas of numbness are a bit concerning.

I would recommend you see a neurologist for a thorough neurological examination. Multiple sclerosis can sometimes present this way.

You may need to see your primary doctor for a referral to the neurologist.

Anonymous - Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:27 am

MS, jeez, i sure hope not. thanks so much for all the help with this and other posts, Doc. its a relief to get a professional opinion because i worry about this stuff all the time. health kind of preceeds eveything else. i think its really great what you're doing on here. anyhow, hopefully i should be seeing a doctor soon enough..

the toe numbness has actually died off very recently for some reason. possibly becasue i've been sleeping with ridiculous ammounts of blankets at night? tempature never seemed to make much of a difference, nothing would change with a hot shower and it was basically constant. my feet and hands are always freezing so im thinking poor circulation is possibly the cause of the numbness. maybe my pectus is squeezing my heart a bit. im not sure if this could explains my thigh numbness. but when thinking back about what could have changed when that first big toe numbness (which was equal on both big toes, if i didn't mention that) showed up, i thought of some interesting possibilities:

*it showed up when i was away at art school for the summer. soon before this i had realized that my posture was really bad and became self conscious about it, and since it was such a social enviroment i was constantly walking around while pulling my neck and shoulders back. but it didn't go away after leaving this enviroment..its been about 9 months i think.

*i started drinking coffee, and quite a bit of it at that

*i started smoking more, perhaps about a half pack a day or so. i've cut down lately.

this new numbness showed up after starting school recently. which means more walking around with conscious posture. it seems to put a little pressure on my lower back, like a few inches above my waistline. nothing painful or even very noticable, really.

lately i have also been riding my bike more, and sitting on the bus which is hard because im so talll, so i sorta have to slouch back foot on knee. is it possible im pinching some nerve and causing numbness from always slouching back when i sit in general?

anyway im sorry this is so extensive. thanks again
 Anonymous - Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:58 am

i think i forgot to mention that my legs go numb really quickly, like after maybe 5 minutes of sitting in a certain position or ankle-over knee. the one spot on the underside of my thigh is always numb.

i have another unrelated question as well. i have a small piece (1/4 long maybe) of palm tree bark thats been in my wrist for years. a vein seems to run right next/though it. could this be causing any problems and is it safe for me to cut it out myself?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:04 pm

User avatar With the rapid onset of your symptoms I think you may be correct regarding a compressed nerve. A neurologist can do some nerve testing to look for this.

Regarding the bark, I generally recommend against trying to remove the piece yourself. The nerves and blood vessels in the wrist are pretty close to the surface and can be damaged if they are inadvertently cut.

|