Question: Thyroid and autoimmune

brokenseraph - Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:36 pm

I had some strange lab results and was curious as to if there are other autoimmune diseases that cause thyroid problems besides graves and hashimotos.

My total T4 was high and my T3 very low. My TSH is smack in the middle and I have symptoms of both hypo and hyper thryoidism (or standard autoimmune symptoms, arthralgias, telangiectasia, constricted resperation, migraines, skin changes, fatigue, etc)
I was curious if there is anything else that would attack the thyroid since my ANA is negative and I am negative for thyroid antibodies.

Also it seems uncommon to have joint pain in your hands, feet, elbows, knees with thyroid problems. Is this something that occurs or is it just hips and elbows that are affected with hashimotos?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:34 pm

User avatar Hashimotos's can cause joint pain in many joints of the body.

Regarding your hormone levles, THS is the most sensitive marker of the body's need for thyroid hormone. If your TSH is normal, your body is not experiencing too much or too little thyroid hormone. Many factors can influence total levels of T3 and T4. I would recommend you have a free T4 level checked. It is likely that this level will be normal since your TSH is normal.

Your symptoms may be rheumatologically related. I would recommend that you see your doctorl and possibly a rheumatologist for further work up.

|