Question: Leg Pain - above ankle

sd2k7 - Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:47 pm

Hi

I am a 20 year old male with no major previous medical issues.

I have been having moderate pain a few inches above the inside of my left ankle. The pain is very localised and it hurts more when i push gently on it. The leg has been hurting for a few months, with increased pain later in the day or after exercise such as running (when the pain sometimes extends to the left ankle too).

I have visited the doctor about this who told me to try resting it and taking anti inflammatory medication, but this has not worked. The only cause I can think of would be that I ski regularly. However, the only injury I have had from skiing was a temporary bruise on my right knee, which fully recovered. As far as I know, I have not received any injuries to my left leg.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

SD
 Marceline F, RN - Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:19 am

User avatar Dear SD,
What you are describing sounds very much like a possible tendonitis. The area you are referring to contains both the anterior and posterior tibial tendons. While you may not recall specifically any trauma or injury, it is possible that you may have strained the area simply by applying pressure to the site during your skiing adventures. Many skiers favor one side over another when slaloming, and during stops, and it is possible that you may have inadvertently injured the tendons this way. The doctor did recommend the best treatment for this: rest and the NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs). You may wish to examine your skiing postures, and see if you may indeed be favoring particular styles of skiing that may be causing the underlying problem.
 WvW - Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi

Sorry to reply to this old post. I have the same issue. Very isolated pain right above the inside of (left) ankle. About the height of a sock. I ran a marathon last year without problems.

I think pain started while "over-training" in period after the marathon. Ibruprofen and 3 months complete rest from running helped. However, recently carefully re-started running but pain comes back almost immediately.

Pain feels most clear when rolling my footstep towards the front part of my foot. Could it be possible my shoes have had too many kilometers and do not provide sufficient cushioning anymore? In other words; can this be solved by simply buying new shoes or would it be more complicated?

Please advise, thanks upfront!

|