Question: Knee Pain

Shyboy - Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:01 am

To whom it may concern,
As a part-time job, I valet. Last night as I was working, I started to notice a slight pain in my left knee. I've never had any knee problems and the pain is only in my left knee, caused by running. I feel the pain is not continuous unless I put pressure on it or if I stretch it out, but I am able to bend my knee. The pain on my knee is isolated to the outer part of my knee, maybe the lateral meniscous or lateral collateral ligment. It is not bruised or discolored and I can walk on it with some discomfort. No fever nor no other syptoms. Please help to ease my pain.
 Dr. A. Saif - Thu Oct 28, 2004 4:15 pm

User avatar Hi there Shyboy,

I read your mail, and I note that this was written in July. How are things? still the same, better or worse? there are a few solutions and I guess you have alluded to some of the possibilities yourself. You do not say whether there was an injury that started this off

A lateral meniscal problem can give you such problems indeed, and typically this causes twinges of sharp pain, particularl when changing direction while walking, squatting and going down stairs. Many people have degenerate wear and tear of the meniscus, and this can cause an aching of the knee. However you are rather young and degenerate fraying is generally more common on the medial side.

A lateral collateral injury usulally follows an injury.

More likely at your age is perhaps a little bit of tendinitis associated with a structure called the iliotibial band. This inserts just below the knee joint on the outer side of the knee, and can acuse an aching after a period of walking, and may respond to local interrferential treatment, such as massage and heat and ice. On occassion a local steroid injection may be tried.

I hope however, that things have settled down by now, but please feel free to ask again if the problem continues or if you have any other questions

Saif

|