News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Hypothyroidism and high glucose?

mau - Thu May 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Hi -
I'm a 38yo female, (5'6" 140lbs). Got blood test recently due to fatigue, short-term memory problems, mental fuzziness and family history of hypothyroidism. TSH was 5.7 and doc prescribed synthroid. Have only been on it for a few days but am sure it will help when it kicks in.

However, fasting glucose has been on high end last 2 tests (101 in Jan, 95 in April). My father is diabetic. I have not gained weight but LOST weight. And I don't eat alot of sugar or bad carbs. I recently read a journal article linking thyroiditis to high glucose and another to insulin resistance. However, I'm not a biochemist and really have no idea what they are talking about. I would like to get to the ROOT of the problem though and not just treat the symptom of a different problem.

Should I investigate this further? I want to go to another doctor that is more knowledgeable about this than my GP. What type of doctor could help?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 04, 2007 2:25 pm

User avatar Fasting glucose levels are generally considered normal if they are between 60 and 100. Levels of 100-126 are considered impaired and levels above 126 are considered consistent with Diabetes.

Your levels are really borderline normal. I would not be concerned about this. As your thyroid becomes normal you may see improved glucose utilization as well.

I would suggest you have the test repeated in 6 months or so once your thyroid is normal.

Best wishes.
 mau - Sat May 05, 2007 11:50 am

Thanks Dr. Lowe. That makes sense and puts my mind at ease too!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here