Question: Is it my spine of was it the epidural?

TSJ2004 - Tue May 08, 2007 4:05 pm

Female 27 yrs.

HI sorry for the length of my post :-)

I have been having pelvic, back and neck pain for around 2 yrs now. Has been bearable but now as it is causing a lot of pain nausea and dizzyness depending on how I position my back, pelvis & neck!
The first time i experienced pain was before I gave birth to my daughter in 2004. My GP advised it was siatica. I went on to have a forceps delivery and epidural pain relief. Before the epdiural was administered the anaesatist commented how he wasnt sure he could do it as it looked like my spine wasnt lining up correctly. He made me drop one hip lower than the other in order for the correct position to be adopted and then it was done. After the birth I had trouble walking for around three months as it felt like my pelvis was going to crack!!! As time went on my walking was ok but regular pain of the pelvis bone and pain exactly where to epidural was put in (not the bone but the space inbetween). It is only recently the pain seems to travel to my neck and I get the dizzyness - like when you are about to faint. Looking down often sends me dizzy, as does sitting with my legs crossed.
When I have the pelvis pain it feels like my legs are going to buckle under me as the pelvis feels so painful and like a lead weight.
I had an accident when I was 15yrs old where I slipped and landed on my coccyx. I never had an xray but spend 4/5 months unable to walk. Could this have contributed to what is happening?

I have been referred to a neurologist and due to have an MRI scan of my head and neck due to the dizzyness. My GP mentioned the sensation of my legs buckling under me but did not mention the pain to the consultant. I will do so when i return after my scan.

I appreciate anyones comments?

Lindsey

As time went on
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:49 pm

User avatar It is very possible that you developed a fracture or misalignment due to your fall several years ago that now is causing some arthritis and irritation of nerves in your back.

You may also want to check to see if your legs are the same length. In some people, the legs are just slightly different lengths. This, over time, can cause significant pain and alignment problems with the spine. Fortunately, the leg length issues can be corrected with orthotics.

Along with an MRI of the head/neck you should probably have an MRI of your lower spine/hips as well to get a good look at what is going on.

|