News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: High Sed Rate

kitty0611 - Wed May 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I am 24 yrs old and when I was 18, I had blood drawn to check sed rate, ana, etc. because i was having issues with achy joints and sometimes stiff to get out of bed in morning. well at the time my ana was weakly positive and my sed rate 50. Well I have been retested for ana and has been neg. but sed rate is still high btw 40-55. I was told that sed rate are btw 0-25 for women... I know lupus runs in my family. What could be going on?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 23, 2007 9:24 pm

User avatar Sed rates are essentially markers of inflammation. They are very non-specific. All an elevated sed rate means is that something is causing inflammation. It may be an infection, rheumatologic illness, traumatic injury or just about anything else.

There is a small subset of the population that will have a weakly positive ANA without any illness. I would recommend you see a rheumatologist. Your symptoms are suspicious for rheumatoid arthritis although there are other causes that can cause joint pain.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here