Question: positive ANA testing

paolahernandez - Sat Jul 31, 2004 9:07 am

I've had ITP since 2003. I guess what I'm asking is what is the cause of having several ANA testing and twice it has been positive and once negative. I have also had a positive Coomb's test. I have never been diagnosed with any other disease other than ITP. Help me clear this up.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Aug 01, 2004 3:08 am

User avatar ITP, a usually benign condition of childhood, can be the presenting sign of a more global autoimmune disorder. This is more common in adolescent females who develop chronic ITP. The most common autoimmune disorder associated with ITP is systemic lupus erythematosus. The development of ITP can precede the diagnosis of lupus by months to years. The patient in the case report does not meet diagnostic criteria for lupus but has two other autoimmune disorders. Repeated clinical monitoring for development of signs and symptoms of autoimmune disorders, especially lupus, is indicated for adolescents who develop chronic ITP.

The thing is that a positive ANA test which is very sensitive for detection of systemic lupus is not a very specific test. This means that most people with SLE will have a positive ANA, but not many of those with a positive will necessarily have SLE.

I wouldn't worry about it unless other features of SLE start appearing or the ANA test is continuously on the rise.
 muddyduck391 - Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:07 am

I wanted everyone to know something that I just found out.

Three years ago I had a hystorectomy, a year later I had my ovaries removed. Two years ago I started harmone therapy, using the Vivelle Dot patch twice a week. For two years my ANA was extremely high. They diagnosed me with Lupus and I had every sign of it. I was losing my hair, some days I could not move, it was crazy. Finally I tried something. I took off the Vivelle Patch and waited 4 weeks. I have been Lupus free since I removed the patch. Doctors have not been able to see this link, but keep this in mind. I had Lupus as I was on the patch, I am now lupus free.

|