News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: + ANA, Edema, Muscle/Joint Pain, Weakness, Anemia

carmstrong03 - Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:52 pm

I am a 34 yr old female. I have been previously diagnosed with or could have RA, Fibromyalgia, Anemia, Goiter and possibly Lupus.

This started with severe pitting edema in my legs accompanied with low grade fever, muscle and joint pain, joint swelling about 6 years ago. I was told this was probably RA and given NSAID's and Lasix for it.

The first couple of years the symptoms seemed to come for a few weeks or months at a time and then disappear. Since November of 2006 it is constant and seems to be getting much worse.

Over time I now have a sudden weight gain of 20 lbs in 3 wks (in Feb) though I am very active and eat well. I have extreme muscle weakness, fatigue, muscle and joint pain, nerve damage (hands, arms, feet and legs), stiffness and joint swelling at wrists, elbows, knees, constant low grade fever, edema, dizziness, lack of concentration, poor circulation resulting in my feet turning cold and blue at times and my toe nails turning black and falling off, mood swings, very low blood pressure ranging from 90-100 over 50/60. I get strange rashes that come and go mainly on my lower legs, arms and sometimes face. I have recently missed 2 wks of work for being too weak to walk at all and move my left arm, leg without assistance, accompanied by 2 days of slurred speech and confusion.

My labs are a positive ANA, anemia (Hemoglobin is 9.2 on a 11.5 min.range) , high Sed Rate. All others are fairly normal. My sugar is always normal. My cholesterol is low. I recenly went to a cardiologist and have a heart murmer with an ejection fraction of 54 my stress test was normal.

I am currently taking Lasix 20mg, Synthroid .88mcg, Lodine XL 600mg, all 1 tab daily, Topamax 50mg 1 tab nightly (for Neuropathy).

I can not seem to get a diagnosis for this, I get a lot of maybe's but nothing solid. Does this sound like Lupus or something else?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:22 pm

User avatar Just based on your description I would be very suspicious of Lupus. Without examining you I cannot say for sure but based on your symptoms you fulfill many of the diagnostic criteria for Lupus.

I would recommend that you see a rheumatologist for further evaluation.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here