News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Shin pain for close to 4 years cant run or walk fast

jackindabox - Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:55 pm

Hello All,
I am a 35 year old male who hashave had shin pains in both of my legs for close to 4 years now. I have had a bone scan, several MRI’s and neurological tests. They finally figured it out about a month ago that I have bilateral posterior compartment syndrome (Something to do with my calf muscles not being able to expand). I was told to get physiotherapy but got laid off a few weeks before they diagnosed this so I lost my health coverage. Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows what I can do to ease the pain such as stretches and so forth or is surgery the only way to fix this?

Thanks for the help
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:04 pm

User avatar Hi Jackindabox,

Compartment syndromes often will develop from overuse injuries of the muscles. If caught early, physiotherapy and complete rest may be helpful.

Unfortunately, with each episode of acute pain the inflammation that results can cause the fascial layers to thicken, worsening the problem.

In chronic cases, physiotherapy is less likely to be successful. In these cases surgery often becomes necessary.

I would recommend you see an orthopedic surgeon for an evaluation if you are able.

Until then, resting as much as possible will minimize worsening of the compartment syndrome.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here