Question: Joint Pain / Muscle Pain ... Need Help

abraxus - Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:27 am

My wife is 23 years of age. She has been diagnosed with Insulin Resistance, and although she has not been diagnosed with PCOS, she does present all the symptoms of PCOS. She is taking metformin for her Insulin Resistance.

Now onto the undiagnosed problems she has been having. Around when she was age 19, she had started getting pain in her right hip. The pain was there off and on laying down, walking, ext... Then around age 21.. she developed back pain along with her hip pain.. Now at age 23, the pain is just about everywhere, but still the hip and back are the most dominant of the pain. The pain even goes to the wrists sometimes, and of lately she gets pain in her tailbone, which makes it hard to sit. The dr she has been seeing ran blood tests in the past 2 years that she has been seeing him. He has yet to give a diagnosis for this condition.

Here is what was high on the blood tests :
CRP: 1/27/06 - 1.21 MG/DL
3/31/06 - 1.06 MG/DL
12/21/06 - 1.12 MG/DL

Uric Acid : 1/27/06 - 9.4 MG/DL
3/31/06 - 8.4 MG/DL
12/21/06 - 10.0 MG/DL

SED Rate: 12/21/06 - 38 MM/HR

MPV : 9/24/05 - 12.2 FL
1/27/06 - 13.4 FL
3/31/06 - 11.8 FL
12/21/06 - 11.8 FL
2/02/07 - 11.3 FL

As you can see by the blood tests CRP and Uric Acid has been steadily high for nearly 2 years. SED rate has only been checked once.

Her pain, which she is not sure if its joint pain and/or muscle weakness. She feels sometimes that she has weak muscles which appears seperate from the joint pain. Also cold weather appears to make her hurt worse. When ever she goes to the store with me, she can only walk maybe 10 to 15 minutes at the most before she needs to sit down, because she says her back hurts. She describes the back pain as feeling like someone is snapping her spine. The pain almost makes her want to pass out if she doesnt find a place to sit down quickly. It is driving us crazy not getting a diagnosis for this. And we have done so so much research for all of this, because the dr is not helping. We have strong speculations of what she may have, but I rather not say it here because I want to hear what you have to say about this.

As for family history, her dad and her grandma both had diabetes. Her mother is still living and recently was diagnosed with Lymphoma.

We are at the end of our wits and appreciate any help you can give us.. We don't have insurance and cant afford to go from one dr to another. So if you speculate any diagnosis please do let us know so we can get some idea of what is going on.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to read this and I eagerly wait your reply!

-Eric and Amy
 abraxus - Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:31 am

I forgot to add that my wife has been tested a few times for: Rheumatoid Factor, ANA, and ASO were all negative.

Also I may add some additional symptoms, I didnt add them at first because they appear to be symptoms of Insulin Resistance/PCOS, but I thought I should add them just in case.

In addition to above symptoms, are acne, cystic acne, acanthosis nigrans (between thighs, arm pits, back of neck).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,
-Eric & Amy

|