Question: Difficulty swallowing and burning sensations

thester6474 - Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:15 pm

User avatar Hi, i am a 24 year old female that has been experiencing many many almost disabiling symptoms. In January I began to notice that it felt as though my right leg would go to sleep, this would happen everyday. Then in February, the end of February, I noticed that it went to sleep, and it seemed as though it stayed that way for weeks. I also suffer with swallowing difficulties, not only when medication but things such as breads, cereals, chips and certain meats. I now have burning sensations almost all over my body. At first my doctor (general practitioner) was afraid it could have been lupus or ms. I have severe headaches, achy joints in every possible place, swelling in my right leg and ankle, slight fever, swollen glands, elevated blood pressure, difficulty urinating (i urinate maybe 1 time a day), severe brain fog, and problems concentrating and with memory. I also have trouble at times turning pages in books, buttoning up clothes, picking things up without dropping them. I also keep all kinds of upper respiratory things such as rhinitis, pneumonitis, and bronchitis. I also have trouble actually getting up after sitting or laying down for some time, I have been tested for MS, and it is always consistent and negative, so my neurologist referred me to a rheumatologist, but it is not until October 23rd. With this in mind, I went while I had pneumonitis and asked my GP to do bloodwork, the results are as followed.

ANA -- 107
ESR -- 8
ASO -- 515.5
C REactive -- 1.5

It is possible for me to have lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. My GP is really scared that I might have both after the bloodwork, so he referred me to a different rheumatologist. This rheumatologist was excellent, not as good as my GP, but good. He did more testing for RA and SLE. He also diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, Myonclonus, and Hypermobility Syndrome. Please Help me.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:14 am

User avatar Hi Thester6474,

Your symptoms do sound suspicious of a rheumatic illness. I'm not convinced that it is SLE nor RA at this point. From your description it doesn't sound like you meet criteria for SLE at this point.

Seeing a rheumatologist will be quite helpful in figuring this out. These illnesses can be quite difficult to identify and a specialist is often needed.

I'm a little suprised that your CRP and ESR are essentially normal. With most rheumatic diseases the inflammation in the body is significant causing these values to go up. A post infectious reactive illness is also a possibility although the time course seems a little prolonged.

Best wishes

|