News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Lupus symptoms no diagnosis

acousticgurl - Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 pm

My name is Amanda, I'm a 22 year old female with much going wrong. Symptoms include: swelling in joints; burning and hot to touch, tendon pain and swelling in feet, re-occuring yeast infections; three this year alone, extreme pain in abdomen directly below my breast bone, bad headaches at least two a week, painful sores inside my nose that last for weeks, painless sores on the roof of my mouth, extreme fatigue especially when in the sun; followed by redness across my cheeks and nose, and irregular periods which my gyn fixed with Ortho-cyclen (only current medication I'm on) My family doctor suggested lupus and gave me an ANA test which came back negative so she stopped listening to my problems. Since then I haven't gone back and things just keep getting worse. Can I have a negavite ANA and still have lupus?
Thank you all for your time, I greatly appreciate it.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:55 pm

User avatar Hi Acousticgurl,

Most people use a set of 11 diagnostic criteria to diagnose lupus. Having 4 of the eleven is considered diagnostic. The ANA being positive is only one of the criteria.

Most people with lupus do have a + ANA; however, it is possible to have lupus without being ANA +.

Based on your description it sounds like you have the following criteria met:
1) arthritis
2) mucositis (based on the sores in your nose/mouth)
3) a malar rash (butterfly type rash on the nose and cheek bones)

There are a few others that are less certain but you may also meet the finding of photosensitivity (although a strict definition of this is getting a rash in sun exposed areas).

I would recommend that you see a rheumatologist for further evaluation. There are some other lab diagnostic criteria (including other antibodies and changes on the CBC) that should be evaluated for also. Getting a rheumatologist's opinion will be the best way to formally make this diagnosis.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here