Question: hand pain

ny2125 - Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:30 am

yesterday all of a sudden i got a sharp pain on my one knuckle and middle finger. it lasted a little bit and went away. then the area felt weak. then the pain/weird feeling went to my forearm and even my thumb. it is like it moved around. now today my thumb hurts. my thumb hurt a few weeks ago and got better in a day or so. i did lift weights yesterday so i do not know if i had injured something to cause this. i am so fearful of some dreaded muscle disease and then i start to think of all the bad things and symptoms. it almost feels like a sprain. i am a 32 yr. old male in decent shape. am i overreacting and should wait it out? thanks for any insight.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:18 pm

User avatar Hi Ny2125,

It may very well be that you have injured a muscle or tendon in the hand causing your pain. With rest this should improve slowly over several days to weeks.

If the numbness/odd feelings involve the thumb, index, middle and 1/2 the ring finger (the side near the middle finger) you may have some compression of the median nerve in the wrist (carpal tunnel syndrome). This should be evaluated for by your doctor if you think you may have this.

Anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen, can help reduce swelling, pain and inflammation but be careful not to over do it while the pain is blocked from the medicine.

|