Question: Swelling of feet / toes

need_help - Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:46 am

First of i am writing on behalf of my brother..

He is 30 years old and was last diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis. The only family history illness i am aware of is Hypertension and Diabetes. He never has had any surgeries. Brufen and Salazopyrin are the only medicine he is taking.

Currently the symptoms he is complaining of are..

1. Swelling of feet or tenderness of toes causing him to limp.
2. Pain on hands.
3. Chest pain like some pressure is being applied on the chest.
4. Weakness or fatigue.

I would kindly appreciate any help to narrow down the cause of these symptoms. He is also planning of visiting a Rheumatologist.

Thanks,
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 pm

User avatar Hi Need_help,

There are several possible causes of this type of an issue. Rheumatologic diseases can certainly be a possibility so seeing a rheumatologist may be helpful. In some cases, cardiac issues may also cause this type of swelling and pain.

I would recommend he see his primary care doctor for an evaluation first, since he's likely able to get in to his PCP before the rheumatologist. His primary doctor can do some basic screening labs and evaluations to try to narrow down the possibilities some.

|