Question: Hand Pain/Stiffness

tempifern - Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi-

I am 33 years old and after having my 2nd child at the end of January I developed pain in both of my hands/wrists to the pint that I could barely hold a fork. It lasted maybe a week and went away, so I ignored it. The pain came back about 2 months later and was also in my feet/ankles. Went to my doc and they did bloodwork which showed a lyme positive titer--2 IGMs positive and 1 IGG. Tried Ceftin which was hard on my stomache and switched to amoxicillin (TID for 2 weeks) as I was breastfeeding. Symptoms went away and came back in late June and I was treated with the same regimen.
Hand pain/stiffness returned in late September as well as feet/ankles, but hands are the worst. My knees sometimes ache as well. I am stiff as a poker for a few hours when I wake up and heat seems to help the most. Went to my new doc as we moved and she was concerned about RA as she felt my knuckles look red/puffy. All of my bloodwork is normal now except for 2 positive IGM lyme bands. Went to a rheumatologist and he is unsure as well. I have lost some dexterity in my hands now and drop things, as well as have trouble opening things, turning door knobs , etc. Could this just be lyme arthritis?

Thanks--I feel like I am 90!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:33 am

User avatar Hi Tempifern,

The usual treatment for lyme disease is an antibiotic called doxycycline although amoxicillin is considered an acceptable alternative.

Occasionally, in more severe cases some doctor would recommend 14-21 days of IV antibiotics to fully treat the infection. Lyme disease is well know to cause severe joint pain.

Rheumatoid arthritis also does fit your symptoms.

You may want to see an infectious disease specialist to get an expert opinion about the lyme disease issue and seeing a rheumatologist can help answer the RA question.

|