Question: Multiple symptoms - fibromyalgia or something else?

kimmad - Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:00 pm

I am a 39 year old female diagnosed about 2 years ago with fibromyalgia, but have been experiencing additional symptoms and wonder if it could be something else.

Symptoms are:
~fatigue (although I do have 3 boys aged 5,3 & 1, so that could account for some of that!)
~Shoulder pain that has not resolved. Dx with rotator cuff syndrome & bicep tendonitis. PT, ice, heat, chiro, but still have pain and limited movement.
~Occasional pain/numbness in hands
~GERD
~recently, my eyes have seemed to become more blurry (I am myopic and wear glasses). I have trouble focusing right away on something. Also have additional floaters in my vision.
~Starting last week, my neck started hurting, so much so that I couldn't move it without severe pain. It got worse over a couple of days, now has gotten to a more manageable point, but still can't touch my chin to my chest.

I am taking:
~Cymbalta for depression and fibromyalgia
~Lyrica for fibromyalgia (just started this a few weeks ago)
~Relpax for occasional migraines as needed
~Prilosec OTC
~Loratadine for allergies
~OTC ibuprofen, tylenol, aleve as needed for pain

The recent symptoms concern me. I've been dealing with the pain...but I'd like to know if I should go to a specialist with these symptoms, and wonder if something else could be going on.

Thanks.
 kimmad - Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:52 pm

just remembered some other symptoms:
~Severe RLS - every night
~IBS symptoms (dx with this many years ago)
~A few months ago, I had what looked like boils on my arm/wrist area (about where you would rest while typing). They were tested for MRSA,which was negative. Took a long time to go away.
~Always feel like I'm "coming down with something". Sometimes my throat is sore, glands swollen, general malaise.

I think that's it.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:21 pm

User avatar You really must see a doctor for a general physical exam with lab work and a chance to discuss all your symptoms. Make a list of all the things you have noticed, as you did here, and talk to the doctor about them. It is very complicated by your description and there could be some type of syndrome going on (like chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, etc.). A rheumatologist might be helpful with the fibromyalgia, if that is the case. There are also autoimmune concerns, so getting the evaluation is important.

sunshinejenn - Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:55 am

I read your post and felt like you were describing me! I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. It was about 2 years ago they gave me the diagnosis. Like you, I have RLS but I take Mirapex for the symptoms. I was taking Cymbalta and Lyrica but didn't get any relief so I stopped due to the cost. Do you get fibro headaches everyday? I do and they are most of the time debilitating. My family dr. put me on Topamax which has really helped that part. My biggest complaint is that I can't seem to get restful sleep and the pain I lve with is so debilitating at times that I find it hard to work. I feel like this has taken over my life to a point that I'm really unhappy.

I have been referred to another rheumatologist to see if my symptoms can be better controlled or to see if I have developed Lupus or another auto immune disorder. Try to see if you can get that referral too, it can't hurt more than the pain we live with.

|