News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Rheumatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Rheumatology Answers List

Forum Name: Rheumatology Topics

Question: Cervical and Thoracic Spurs

Belfrybats - Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:28 pm

I have had severe arthritic spurs of the spine, both cervical and thoracic since I was about 28 years old. I am now 57. I am very careful with movements such as reaching up high, etc. Some days are worse than other days. I cannot play golf, etc. because unusual movements have resulted in home cervical traction on occasion.
I have been lifting weights to try and stay toned and strong, (not extremely heavy), and am now in the process of moving and I am lifting and moving boxes, etc. I've noticed that I get a little spastic nerve type pain under my left breast, kind of in the middle near the sternum and over to the left AFTER a day when I have lifted boxes. These spasms happen at rest. The area is not sore to the touch at all. It seems that the day I am moving boxes my middle back hurts. Then the next day, my back feels somewhat better except that the left side under my shoulder blade hurts upon movement and I get these little spasms of what feels like surface pain under left breast area. The twinges last no more than 20 seconds or so and might occur about 10 times during that day. I have no other symptoms. I have tried to keep note of when these spasms happen and it seems it is after I have lifted something heavy. Can this be related to the spurs? I had echo cardiogram, ekg and physical last month and all was okay. Thanks for any response!
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:35 pm

User avatar Hi!

The description of your problem indicates that it could be a neuropathic pain, which in turn could be due to spurs on your thoracic vertebrae. Have you noticed any changes on the skin over which you feel the pain/spasms?

bill

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here