Question: Hand and arm pain

jaxjgr - Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:19 am

I am a 28 yr old female (no children, and a little overweight) who for the past two years has had pain in my hand and lower arm. It is most painful in the morning and in the middle of the night. I wake up with such pain while sleeping I take tylenol and go back to bed. Sometimes during the day it goes numb and tingles. I feel like when I put it down by my side and let the blood rush down it feels better???? I wear a carpal tunnel brace to bed and that helps a little, but it seems to not be working as much as it used too. I'm in school and don't have insurance or I would go to my Doctor. Any advice??? Thank you so much for your time!!!

Brandi
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:50 pm

User avatar Hello Brandi,

The symptoms you are describing make me wonder about the possibility of some nerve compression higher up in the arm. Your symptoms are very consistent with a nerve type problem.

I would recommend you see a doctor for this if possible. You may need some imaging studies, such as an MRI, to better determine the cause of your pain.

Often, there are local clinics that can see patients without health insurance on a free or reduced fee scale. Your local health department can help find these clinics if needed. Also, perhaps campus health may be an option.

|